Friday, February 16, 2007

Cleaning - check & done! Decorations - check & done!

2 days to the 4075 Lunar New Year.

I am not a superstitious person but according to an important Chinese custom, one cannot sweep the floor or do any house-hold chores during Chinese New Year because sweeping "sweeps" away one's luck. Just to be on the safe side, I've Hoover-ed and Swiffer-ed my entire apartment today. No harm to hope for more luck, isn't it?!

With that done, it's time to break out my very minimal Chinese New Year decoration. My motto: less is more. Furthermore, it is just another day here in New Jersey. Although I do miss the festivities & my family during this time, I don't miss the dangerous fumes & deafening explosions of gigantic crackers and air-bombs.

Ah, yes. Firecrackers.

Well, if you can't have the real thing here, then make fake ones. I saved some toilet roll cardboards, wrapped them up with Chinese tea paper, cut off white paper bag handles and stick them in the center as wick. Viola! The Chinese New Year card is from my dear Mom & Dad, Grandparents and big brother. Ever since the internet explosion, the number of greeting cards I receive during festive seasons are dwindling. But, it's good to SAVE THE TREES!


Last but not least, use my dear Ty Fluffies piggy " Choo Qi" and put a red packet next to him. Why not? It's the year of the pig, anyway.


Here they are. All together now...cheese!


3 comments:

Robin Wong said...

Heeeyyy....
I see everyone is ready for the huge celebration eh?
Happy Chinese New Year to you and Adrian !!!
Gong Xi Gong Xi

Anonymous said...

Happy Chinese New Year to you

Serenity said...

Robin: Gong Xi Fa Cai & happy visiting. Looking forward to reading your CNY adventures!

BengBeng: Happy Chinese New Year to you too!