Monday, February 26, 2007

Lui Char

Lui Char is usually eaten on the seventh day after the Chinese Lunar New Year. It is a typical Hakka dish. I think it's a good way to detoxify our body after eating too much hi-calorie, protein meat dishes over the Chinese New Year ;)

Making Lui Char takes a lot of preparation; especially the side dishes that goes together with the cooked rice & tea soup.

Thanks to Kuali (click for detailed ingredients and step-by-step method), I managed to find a simple, easy-to-follow recipe for Lui Char.

1. Lay out all your side dishes.



2. Invert a bowl of cooked rice and add in a bit of the side dishes, like this:




3. Add in the tea soup and you're all set.



I think eating Lui Char requires acquired taste. I didn't like it at first. Maybe because someone ordered it "extra bitter" for me. For a first timer, that's not a good idea.

2 comments:

cooknengr said...

Ngai tee, no Mani Chai can meh? I will be planting Mani Chai in the kebun this summenr.

Serenity said...

aiya! i have no kebun here. maybe i can import from you when your crop is harvested? oh ya, may sound weird but i m allergic to large amounts of mani chai.