Friday, August 15, 2008

Once Upon a Time...


My colleagues and I were reminiscing about childhood TV shows over lunch a few days ago and this led to a very candid discussion about it. The list of shows is endless but if you were born in the 70s, this should ring a bell. Let's take a look at some of the defunct ones.

Electric Company



You've got the power. Yeah! But, what about Morgan Freeman, huh?!


Daktari




I bet Malaysian kids who watched this show religiously in the afternoons (including yours truly) didn't realize that they've just learned a Swahili word. LOL!


Hogan's Heroes



My first exposure to World War II Germany. LOL!


Western series were a bit hit in my family. My Dad and Grandfather were huge, huge fans and it naturally rubbed on us kids.


Bonanza



Lorne Greene and Michael Landon were the two stars that I remembered the most. The latter starred in the famed "Little House on the Prairie" and the former as Commander Adama in the original "Battlestar Galactica", with the likes of Captain Apollo and Lt. Starbuck.


High Chaparral




Manolito Montoya was my brother's favorite character in High Chaparral. I supposed he identified with his happy-go-lucky attitude.

I could go on forever but it'll get tedious after a while, but let this be a "trigger" for you to think about past TV shows that may have influenced your preference for certain genres. Being a kid in Malaysia during the 70s and 80s meant growing up watching old, black & white series. Colored TV existed rather late for us but we gradually moved on to better series like Stephen J. Cannell's productions ;)

9 comments:

cooknengr said...

Hey, I did not know that's Morgan Freeman. I watched the Electric Company , Friday afternoons before sisters go to Piano lesson by Sunny Hill, back then Ms Yap Chiew Ping was like the top piano teacher.

I was not into the electric company, because there was not a girl that I like. Was falling in love with Jo of the Fact of Life, the blond from 8 is Enough....and Kim, Arnold and Willis's half sister.

Anonymous said...

I remember all those TV shows you mentioned except for Daktari..can't remember watching that one

Anonymous said...

I remember Bonanza.. :)

Serenity said...

cooknengr: Morgan Freeman = Count Dracula ;) ahh...those good ol' days of Tootie, Blair & Jo. You do know that Kim/Dana Plato died of O/D. too bad :(

wuching: hee..hee! Daktari was a cute show.

mama bok: don't cha love the opening theme song :)))

Anonymous said...

Ooo....i used to love Daktari. I think there was a cross-eyed lion. Not sure what it's name was, but could've been Lawrence. Hehehe

Serenity said...

millyvanilly: yes,i think it is! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Or was it Clarence?? Hahaha...

Serenity said...

milyvanilly: oops...Clarence it is :)

JadeKitsune said...

*laughs* I remember watching Hogan's Heroes and loving it.

Re-runs of that show were the highlight of sick days when I had to stay home from school :D

"SCHULTZ!"

~Jessica