Monday, September 11, 2006

Chit-chat: I know it might sound obnoxious but I am glad that my ancestors decided to pack-up & migrate to Malaysia long time ago. Not trying to be narcissistic here but I sure don't wanna appear in overseas newspapers with a bad rep.

Rx: A Behavior Make-Over


Chinese travelers' made headlines in the national newspaper, USA Today last Thursday (see above). An accurately written article, I couldn't agree more. I am also Chinese by descent. So should I be embarrassed? To a certain extend but I am from Malaysia, NOT Mainland China. You might ask if there's any difference? Definitely. Our upbringing, socialization, enculturation & education set us up differently from our counterparts in Mainland China. Please read on for more "insight" on Mainland Chinese travelers...

Excerpt of the article "Chinese traveler's..." from USA Today,
September 7th. 2006


Unfortunately, I also see some of these Mainland Chinese bad manners at the local Asian supermarket here in New Jersey. Sadness! I have encountered several rude old grannies that cut lines as they see fit. If you proceed to tell them that there's a line, they either pretend not to hear you or tell you off that they have the right to do so. Grrrr..!!! Unbelievable right?

On a lighter note, I now give you my take of another 10 additional Mainland Chinese bad habits based on my personal experience and stories passed down by my grandparents & friends who have visited and worked in Mainland China.

N.B. I don't know if I should make an exception for the population from bigger cities like Beijing, Shanghai & Guangzhuo because Zhang Ziyi is from Beijing and Hong Kong papers allegedly reported & photographed her squatting too.

Anyway, here's my list ala "Dave Letterman's Top Ten".

You know you are a Mainland Chinese when...

10. It's ok to litter at an outdoor cinema. Just throw your chicken bones and what nots on the floor.

9. You still use an ear-digger (very, very small spoon with long handle) instead of cotton bud to clean your ears.

8. It's ok to put one leg up on the chair while eating or sitting.

7. Chewing, chomping loudly is ok.

6. It's ok to pee by the road side. Just open up your umbrella and use it as a temporary shield while relieving yourself. Ahhhh..!

5. You still have a potty underneath your bed.

4. You choose to squat on top of a toilet bowl when you can sit on it.

3. You have no qualms eating your pets. In fact, all animals are edible. Yummo..!

2. You use every inch of your yard/garden to rear chickens, pigs, plant vegetables & rice instead of landscaping it with exotic flowers, plants, sculptures or a koi pond.

And the No. 1...drum-roll please!

1. You clear your throat loudly & then spit (like this, kkuaaaaak-puiiii!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooo..ooo..!!! I have more to add! Don't forget their inability to chew with their mouths closed. (Guess that explains the loud chomping and lip-smacking sounds). Then there's the spittoon pot under the dining table for them to "khuaaak pui" to their heart's content. Where there are no spittoon pots for them to get rid of their phlegm, why, the roads will do!(Ugh! *shudder*)My sis almost had someone's "khuaaak pui" land on her feet while she was in Beijing!

Serenity said...

hah! yes, the spittoon pots ;) see that's why i think the big cities should be included also. how naive of me to doubt so. haha!