Monday, January 12, 2009

Fairy Cave, Bau


The Monsoon = rainy season is not an ideal time to go caving but this is an interesting limestone cave that Adrian photographed during our recent trip home. Fairy Cave is situated north of Bau in Sarawak. It was the center of the 19th Century gold rush and site of a bloody rebellion between Chinese and British rulers back in the days.

Fairy Cave has very unusual stalagmites and stalactites formations, thanks to the humid weather condition. Most caves in Malaysia date back to the Stone Age but some caves in my hometown are believed to be over 60 millions years old!

Why is it called Fairy Cave? Well, nobody could tell me why but my internet research revealed that the deity like stalagmites and stalactites attracted many Chinese Buddhist and Taoist devotees to the cave. This could be the reason for its name.

Get ready for photos galore!

Limestone formations in Fairy Cave

Stalactites

Looking out from inside the Cave

Platform and walkways

Going deeper into the limestone crevasses

Where stalagmites and stalactites meet

The little lighted hole at the bottom is the entrance. Hello!!! Echo!!!

Rock or cave climbing anyone?

He's actually quite high up come to think of it. Argh! Scary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm embarassed to say I've never been to Fairy Caves at all, even though I've been living in Kch all my life. Hehe