Monday, August 28, 2006

Pain in the name of INS

Last Friday, Adrian & I had our medical check-up for immigration purposes. INS requires future immigrants to undergo an overall physical examination, blood test for HIV and TB test. Luckily, we had our DT (diphteria & tetanus) and MMR (mumps, measles & rubella) shots a year and a half ago. So, we were spared the agony of multiple shots.

Normally, I have quite a high threshold of pain but the thought of getting poked for 2 tests was a tad eerie and it immediately brought back bad memories of one session I had in Malaysia. A supposedly experienced nurse jabbed the needle into my arm several times and still failed to draw blood. All I got was one pain after another and the agony of hearing air popping out. That is why I don't donate blood.

True enough that Friday was like "Groundhog Day" all over again. The first nurse couldn't locate my veins in spite of doing several fist pumping exercises. Her comment, "Yours are really difficult to see...Yeah, you're a hard one. You have deep veins." U-huh! I have deep veins. I must be abnormal and an alien???


So the first nurse left after the first failed attempt and called in another nurse. I presumed a more experienced one???

Nurse #2: U-huh...let me see this side. Ok, let me see the right side. Pump your fist.

Me: Okkkk..

Nurse #2: Let's see the left side again. Ok...I can see one here.

Me (grimacing & thinking):Please let there be blood...please let there be blood.

Nurse #2: Got it...!

Me (thinking): Hallelujah. I'll give more alms in church on Sunday. I'll be kind and I won't swear at stupid drivers....

This was my arm on Friday - August 25, 2006


This is my arm today, Monday - August 28, 2006.


After 48 hours, we came back to have our TB skin test read and measured. My skin test had ballooned up to 8mm (3mm more than the allowable limit) so the nurse declared that a chest x-ray was needed just to be sure. I'd say it was a sensitive skin reaction plus I had BCG in M'sia before so that may have contributed to the larger mass of redness. Plus, have a nice "blue, black" present from the "small" needle used to draw blood for the HIV test.

The end result? HIV test - negative & chest x-ray - all clear. No more needles, please. Get me outta this doctor's office, quick!

N.B. In spite of the "searching-for-my-veins" brouhaha, the nurses were all professional and kind. I supposed I am just unlucky to be born with deep and small veins.

No comments: