Sunday, January 21, 2007

My Current Read



I found my current read quite by accident last year. I was surfing the internet and came across a free book offer. Who could resist it, right? Anyway, I signed up for the book just before my trip back to Malaysia and guess what?! It only came through my mail slot last week. Yeah, it took them almost 3 months to send it to me but I didn't pay a single cent for it so I should just shut up right now.

Back to "The Nasty Bits". So far, I have read the first two chapters and I am quite impressed by his style of writing, mixture of sometimes dry, sometimes witty humor and above all, his brutal yet honest revelation about what goes on behind the kitchen door.

Apart from his day job at Brasserie Les Halles in NYC, Bourdain travels extensively and visited several South East Asian countries in Seasons 1 and 2 of his travel & food show: No Reservations.

Another reason why I brought him up is because of his courage to travel to these remote places sans-frills and luxury of other travelogues ala Samantha Brown, Burt Wolf, Weekend Explorer, etc. His willingness to get down and dirty and visit the interior places of Sarawak, Borneo (my hometown included) is admirable. Best of all, he adores durian. The fruit he comically referred to as the "stegosaurus-shaped stink-fruit of Asia" in his online photo journal. Yes, the fruit I mentioned earlier in my Singapore entry. Now, how many Caucasian person would have an affinity with this fruit? Not many by Asian standards. Most would do a 100 metre dash or a Houdini act once they caught a whiff of its scent.

Enough said. Time to catch up on my reading.

2 comments:

cooknengr said...

Did you watch Antony on Discovery Channel? He was eating Laksa at Chun Hui! Then spent a few days in a Long House.

Serenity said...

no, i didn't. he did!! wow, choon hui laksa lady must be over the moon. her gravy is a bit watered down though. chong choon laksa at Abell Road is good too.