Friday, January 05, 2007

Back in New Jersey

It is 7.08 a.m. and I am already up and about. Rather early by my standard but I think I have slept enough. Adrian & I arrived at Newark Liberty Airport on Saturday evening, December 30th. 2006. Just in time for Dick Clark's Rocking Eve '07 and the traditional ball drop at Times Square. 2006 came and went in a flash. Now it's 2007.

After 2.5 months away from NJ, I am slowly easing back to life here. Adrian & I are trying to beat the jet-lag. The time difference of 13 hours is screwing up our sleep time. However, I'm glad to say that we're getting better day-by-day. I think it's not too bad for Adrian since he's only been away for 19 days. But he has to go back to work on January 2nd. so I don't envy him at all.

We had a close-call at KLIA (Sepang Airport) on our way back to NJ. The plane in Kuching had arrived an hour late so we landed at KLIA 30 minutes before MH90 was due to leave for Newark. Luckily, the lady in Kuching had sent a fax to inform them that they were 4 passengers who might be arriving late. A MAS ground staff took us to the international terminal and we made it in a nick of time.

There were a few moronic incidents though:

#1. KLIA security check for all US-bound flights
My tooth paste and mouth wash of less the 3 fl. oz. (which is within TSA requirements) were thrown out by the M'sian security personnel who clearly wasn't sure what is allowed and not allowed. The funny thing is that I had brought the same thing through US/Newark TSA and they cleared it with no qualms. Don't they have a memo on what is ok and not ok to bring into the plane??? Typical M'sian public service. Duh...!

To make matters worse, we saw one lady with 5 water bottles in her bag when we transited at Arlanda Airport in Stockholm. How the heck did she slip pass the M'sian side?!! Oh yes, now I remember. At about 10 mins. before take-off time, we over-heard some of the M'sian security personnel scrambling to go back since their bus had arrived to bring them home! So they had left some passengers unchecked. What the #@^%!

#2. Repetitive security checks at Arlanda Airport, Stockholm
I think the Swedish authorities have too much money and time on their hands. After we landed, transit passengers were subjected to 2 similar security checks. The first check was conducted as soon as we got off the plane. We proceeded down some small spiral staircase and joined the new passengers from the Sweden to New York sector for a second check. What the $#@^%! Are we considered the more "dangerous" sector passengers? Talk about racial profiling?!!

But I have to hand it back to the Swedish personnel for courtesy. They were very patient even with some moronic lady with 5 water bottles. She gave them up reluctantly with a "whatever" attitude which was so sickening that I felt so embarrassed being a fellow M'sian. Obviously, she knew nothing about the liquid ban enforced by the U.S. since September 26th. 2006.

Oh well, so much for my early morning rant. I have much to update on my blog but I will take my time.

No comments: