Friday, March 30, 2007

Cooking Frenzy

This whole week, I've been caught by the cooking bug. I think it is also attributable to a recent good news, which I will blog about some other day. On my lazy days stepping into the kitchen is like walking with an iron shackle around your foot.

So, I started off with some goreng pisang or banana fritters on Monday night;


...followed by Cinnamon Nut Cookies on Tuesday evening. I've to refrain from using the word biscuits at this point because biscuit is an entirely different thing here. In Malaysia and perhaps elsewhere around the world, biscuits = cookies; while biscuit is a soft buttery bun-like roll you eat with your meal in the U.S.

Anyway, this easy snack uses standard cookie measurements + cinnamon powder + roasted nuts.

Dough spooned onto a greased parchment paper.

Once it's done, let cool on wire rack & sprinkle some confectioner's sugar.

By dinner time, I was on to a popular Kuching dish - tomato sauce noodle or tomato mee. Like kolok mee (kolok noodles) this is only found in Kuching. Same goes for tomato sauce kway tiau (flat rice noodles) *sigh*.

Somehow the tomato sauce is still "not-there-yet" in spite of the sauce being brought all the way from home :(

Wednesday - OFF (I did cook, though. It was just some regular fried bee hoon.)

Thursday - Back in full-swing. I stopped by my local Indian grocery store, Annapura, to get some star anise, cinnamon sticks, Pappadums and frozen Pratas. We had an Indian theme dinner last night.

My Mom has been pestering me to try my Aunt's curry powder. My Aunt bought it from some lady in Kuala Lumpur. There's no brand and the only words on the packet are HOMEMADE CURRY RECIPE. This is very unfortunate for you and I because there's no address or telephone number for us to call. Plus, I've to use it sparingly. Double shucks!

Malaysian Chicken Curry. I love the color, the aroma, the taste. Just like home :)

Onion & plain Pratas - heat them until golden brown on a non-stick pan.

Fried pappadums, yum!

When you're happy and you know it, keep on cooking :) Cowanbunga!

7 comments:

Robin Wong said...

OMG OMG OMG !!!
Tomato Fried Noodles !!! OMG !!!
I dunno bout the taste, but judging from the pictures... looks BETTER than the ones in Kuching... maybe its the prawns.. ahahahaha.. but still OMG !!!

Serenity said...

err Robin, looks can be deceiving. truly the ones back home e.g. hui sing garden etc. tastes so much better. it's the damn sauce and smell of burnt wok :)))

cooknengr said...

I kinda forgot how tomato Kueh tiaw taste like, so I can't even duplicate it. I guess Fish cake is an important flavoring agent...wait till my next trip to Kuching.

Anonymous said...

You are so BAD, tempting people with those Malaysian food, especially with the tomato fried noodles and curry. I use the frozen pratas that are actually "Buatan Malaysia" - where are yours made?

Serenity said...

cooknengr: yeah, appreciate it if you could unlock the mystery of the sauce.

christine: hello dear. i use this brand - Spring Home and it's made in Singapore. i'm not very patriotic. hehe! taste comes first.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Cinnamon cookies! As for the tomato koaytiaw, let me go to huising tonight and interview the chef. Hehehe. (But you're right, I think it has to do with the seldom-washed-stuck-with-layers-of-grime wok that gives it that oh so authentic taste. Hahah.

Serenity said...

millyvanilly: straight from the horses mouth. i like that! good luck with the chef. let's hope he/she isn't secretive abt it ;) hehe!