Sunday, March 25, 2007

Hot Cross Buns, but minus the cross

I started making my first hot cross buns on Friday. It seemed befitting since hot cross buns are traditionally eaten during Lent & Good Friday. Baking bread is not one of my forte but why not try something new? Here goes my hot cross buns challenge...

Ingredients for hot cross buns

The tricky part, warm the milk. Not too hot unless you want to kill the yeast action. Sprinkle the yeast, let dissolve & rest it for 5 mins.

While stirring constantly, add in all your ingredients like melted butter, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and finally, the flour.

Knead until smooth and let rest for 30-45 mins. Add raisins and knead again until even and smooth. Place dough in a buttered dish, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the refrigerator overnight.

Next day: divide the dough, shape them into balls and place on parchment paper. Let rest for about 1.5 hour. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel :) I thought my dough looked like potatoes with eyes?!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and bake. Finally! When dough has risen, use a sharp knife to slash across the buns. Mine didn't work out as you can see :(. Brush egg white on the buns. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F for another 15 mins or so. My glaze was too liquid. Less milk next time :(

Anyway, I gave away some to my friends. I hope they didn't have a bad reaction to it. Fingers crossed...!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adoh! Rajin nya! I don't think I'll ever have the patience to make something that takes as long as 2 days. :-)

Serenity said...

millyvanilly: that's why only bake hot cross buns during this Lenten season :0) i'd rather make cookies. easier and faster. your strawberry cookies is the best still!!!

Anonymous said...

hahaha.....didn't make strawberry cookies this year. Attempted makmur biscuits (or "momo" biscuits as my mom would pronounce them) instead this CNY. Let's just say that it was the first and the last time for me. Too much work le...have to fry raw peanuts, then pound them, then have to dry fry the flour to get that melt-in-the-mouth texture...all this done in my hot and humid kitchen, mind you. Never again...leput ah!

Serenity said...

aww...i love "momo" cookies too. oh my, i didn't know that it's so complicated. teruknye, just buy next time & make the easier ones :)