Friday, March 02, 2007

Mee Siam Day

It is Friday again which means no meat day. So, I am taking this opportunity to try the Mee Siam paste I brought back from Singapore. My Grand Aunt highly recommended the PRIMA TASTE Mee Siam Paste when I visited her last December.

Mee Siam or Siamese Noodle is not very popular in Malaysia. In Singapore, Mee Siam is a superstar dish. Like Tiger Woods to golf or LeBron James to the NBA. Something like that. I learned to eat it because being of Peranakan descent, this is a "must have" one-dish meal at home. The gravy is sourish (tamarind juice), spicy and sweet. In my opinion, this version is the best. There's another version which is stir-fried. It's drier and served in most restaurants in Peninsular Malaysia.

A few years ago, I found a Mee Siam recipe in Silver Kris; Singapore Airlines' (SIA) in-flight magazine. Did they serve Mee Siam to their business and first class passengers too? Well, I haven't had the privilege to sit in those expensive sections of the plane.


Today, I am resting my recipe book and cooking mee siam the lazy way. The Prima Taste Mee Siam Paste packet comes with sambal* bee hoon and sambal chili (see above). So convenient! All I have to do is prepare the rice vermicelli (bee hoon) and the garnish; boiled prawns, hard-boiled eggs, chives and thinly sliced cucumber. I would have included tau pok (fried bean curd) cubes but the ones sold here isn't as nice as the ones back home. Besides, I don't quite like tau pok anyway.

*sambal = condiment used in most South East Asian dishes, very addictive.


Stir fry the soaked bee hoon with sambal. Set aside.


Prepare the Mee Siam gravy. Heat up the paste and add in some prawn stock and water. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.


Dish out the bee hoon and garnish with cucumber, prawns, hard boiled eggs and chives. Pour Mee Siam gravy over it.


For extra "oomph", eat it with sambal chili.


My verdict for Prima Taste's Mee Siam Paste: 5 stars. Yummylicious!

8 comments:

Robin Wong said...

heeeyy...
seems like prima taste has made it everywhere in the world, even in US !! We have one restaurant named prima taste in perth, and they also sell the cooking ingredients/pastes and flavourings too.

mk@tokyo said...

OMG. Your Mee Siam looks so delicious! & I miss sambal chili so much (><)

Serenity said...

robin: yeah, one restaurant in California but i haven't seen their range of ready to cook pastes in Asian stores around NJ yet. i hope they sell it here soon ;) did u go to their restaurant in Perth? is Ann's Malaysian still operating?

mk: thanks! well, it's short-cut cooking anyway ;) i can't live without sambal...hahaha!

Johanna said...

ohhh that looks so yum!! i am so hungry now, i think the last time my mum cooked mee siam it was 7 years ago. yummm. hahaha *drools*

Anonymous said...

Your blog always makes me hungry! You have good photos of the food you make!

I'm still waking up in the middle of the night around 2 - 3:30 am timeframe and then I get really sleepy around 4:00 pm. So I guess I'm not over my jetlag - to answer your question!

Serenity said...

Bananas: yr mom is a very good cook. can get her recipe. hehe! or u can cheat like me. i think they do sell that paste in Melbourne too.

Christine: thanks! oh your poor thing. it takes about 1 week to shake off the jet-lag. we're about to have a little snow tomorrow but not as much as Minnesota. take care! zzz well.

Tinsie said...

Awwww that looks delish!!
Great blog by the way. This is my very first visit, but I'll be back :-)

Serenity said...

tinsie: thanks for dropping by :)