Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Much Ado About Food

See Good Restaurant

Side-track post (non- NJ related) but lots of food pictures coming up!

One of the classic, all-time favorite place which my family often patronize is See Good Restaurant. No, it's not sea food mis-spelled. I've been coming to this place since they first opened in the mid-80s or so. One of their earlier locations was at the old Permata Sea Food Center. Some of you Generation Y & Zs might not even know where this place was since it was torn down to make way for the likes of Eagle's Nest, Cottage, Piccadilly Music Cafe, Goal!, etc. Anyway, they moved a couple of times before settling at a shop house behind the famous Tsui Hua Lau Restaurant off Ban Hock Road.

These days, my family hardly eat out due to my Grandma's immobility. But, who's to stop us from having See Good's yummy food, right? If there's a will, there's a way. So, when I was home last year, we had a few take-out/to-go See Good meals.

This post is for Mr. Kong but I doubt that he surfs the web. Nevertheless, a compliment to his restaurant's good cooking ;)

The following are my favorite food items from this very casual & laid-back restaurant.

Fresh water prawn soup (Tom Yum base)

Sweet & spicy crab *drool*

Kampung (free-range, village bred) chicken

Foo-chow noodles. In spite of what you think, you'll slurp the gravy dry in the end!

If you're salivating uncontrollably by now, just call See Good at (082) 251397. Don't go there on the 4th & 18th of every month because you'll be cooking your own meal. *snigger*



Lian June @ BDC

I discovered this place after my former co-worker recommended it to me. A Hakka owned & operated
restaurant. Great place for double boiled/clay-pot dishes but I go there for something else ;)

Their butter-prawns are as good as Sarawak Club's. Well, I needed to find a replacement since the Club was still in ashes & black soot when I went back. Much progress has taken place after I left.

One of their signature dishes - ngo-hiang! Pork-minced roll.

This is the real lemon chicken ;)
(unlike the ones you get in your local American Chinese take-out place; no offense, but yuck!)

Anyway, I've satisfied my craving today. I hope you have too. If you can't have it physically, it's just as good looking at it. If you can't eat it, it's just as good smelling it. Beggars can't be choosers, I guess.

5 comments:

mk@tokyo said...

sweet & spicy crab, foo chow noodles, butter prawns *drool* Thanks for all the nice food picts :) Going to makan a lot when I go home in July!!! yeah. another 2 months!

Serenity said...

hey MK: not long too go. selamat menjamu selera!

Anonymous said...

See Good placed an announcement in the papers a few days back - the place will be closed from 4 May to 11 June, due to the Gawai festival! 1 whole month! The cook must be a Dayak. Hahah. So, tell your folks back home not to go there till 12th June.

Anonymous said...

Hai Serene,

Appreciate if you could tell where is this Lian June@BDC located. Thanks

Regards,
Cherry

Serenity said...

millyvanilly: OMG! such a long break. yes, their chef must be Dayak and most of their waiter/waitress are also Dayak/Iban, etc. thanks for the info ;)

cherry: hi there! Lian June is located at the vertically placed row of shop houses opposite the old Stampak at BDC. use the small road next to that grey colored, hi-rise flats to the parking lot. the top floor is air-conditioned. ground floor is open type seating. no a/c.