Saturday, May 26, 2007

Water

Every once in a while, a good film comes our way and touches our hearts deeply that we think about it every now and then. For my friend Sue, it's Masterpiece Theatre's Jane Eyre. Like her, I am also a Bronte fan and Sue promised that this latest version is the best she's seen so far. I can't wait to get my hands on the DVD. I have placed a request with my local library for it and I should be getting it by next week. Whilst I look forward to this latest version of Jane Eyre, I would like to recommend another film that I saw not too long ago,"Water".



Canadian film maker, Deepa Mehta received death threats and faced many obstacles from Hindu conservatives when filming "Water" but I am glad that she didn't relent. This is a good movie for those who are eager to learn more about other cultures and to fully appreciate the civil liberties we enjoy in this lifetime.

Plus: The lead actors Lisa Ray (Kalyani) and John Abraham (Narayan) are easy on the eyes & you'll be drawn to Kalyani's plight in no time.

However, the center of the film is about a young girl, Chuyia. It is not a chick flick. There's NO twirling around the trees, sprawling on the grass to some "Bollywood" tune but a heavy film with underlying political and social issues affecting India in the 1930s. If you know your history well, you'll recognize which prominent historical figure I am referring to.

Watch it to understand abandonment. Watch it to remind ourselves what it is like to be able to live and love freely. Every now and then we need to see a film like this as a wake up call to our fine and dandy lives which we take for granted ever so often.

2 comments:

Solomon Blue Waters said...

I enjoyed your blog entry about Jane Eyre; I have read the book and found it to be a vital and brilliantly-chiselled masterpiece, full of both passion and control. I hope to see the new film version too, after your review and will try to see Water, too. My favourite film is Tokyo Story from 1956 - what an exquisitely beautiful actress who plays the widowed woman. Pure perfection in acting and directing in that film! I am a writer and have a blog at countdowntopublication.blogspot.com
All the best!

Serenity said...

bluelunareagle: thanks for visiting my blog. i am a movie buff and my range is rather wide including foreign films. i will check out Tokyo Story. good luck with your writing as well! take care.