Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mid-Autumn Festival

According to the Chinese calendar, today is the Mid-Autumn Festival (also known as Lantern & Mooncake Festival). There are so many stories/legends behind this festival, it's not known which of the 5 versions is the most accurate. Well, I'm not here to debate on it although I don't mind popping a magic pill and float off somewhere. Read Chang O to understand.

Mid-Autumn Festival brings back fond childhood memories for me. My favorite being lighting paper lanterns with birthday candles and hanging them around the garden. Today is my 5th. mid-autumn celebration in NJ. I have three paper lanterns but no patio to hang them. So, I'll just improvise and find some spots around the apartment. *sigh* Without the candles of course. I don't wanna end up homeless!

Photo source here

Well, it's time to break out the tea set, brew some Kuan Yin leaves, divide up the mooncakes and enjoy the day. These days there are so many blasphemous non-traditional types of mooncakes in the market but my favorite is still the plain lotus & sesame paste, no-yolk mooncake.

Last Saturday, I bought a box of mooncakes without any pictures of pretty Chinese maidens. These individual boxes are from previous year's. Don't ya think these ladies look a bit familiar?!

They're my "Anita Mui" Mooncakes. I couldn't find them at the store this year. I supposed they sold out fast.

Ok, I gotta go eat some mooncakes now.


"HAPPY MOONCAKE FESTIVAL EVERYONE!"

8 comments:

Wuching said...

happy moon caking!

Serenity said...

hey wuching, happy autumn, mooncake & lantern festival!!!

Anonymous said...

agree with you about all those new flavours of mooncake cropping up each year. Some of them just taste..ugh! Can you imagine tiramisu/blueberry cheese/strawberry mooncakes?? Although some of the newer varieties such as pandan, durian, greentea aren't that bad. My fav is still pure lotus though.

Serenity said...

millyvanilly: exactly!

Johanna said...

i like plain lotus & sesame paste no-yolk mooncakes too!! hahaha. i didn't eat any this year cos it was so expensive to buy. sigh.

i wish i could parade around with lanterns. i only remember doing that once or twice as a kid. hahaha. i think i had a hello kitty one.

Serenity said...

bananas: yes, they're rather expensive; about $23 for a box of 4.
we have the same taste. must be the genes :) i love traditional paper lanterns. Hello Kitty is still the cutest!

cooknengr said...

Hey you should see that Heng Hua Ah Mah de-shelling kuachi with her teeth for making Moon cake filling.. what's that shop at Padungan?... : )

Serenity said...

cooknengr: hmm...so many shops. er, sin hian chia or something like that? anyway, heng hua ah mah must be credited for the extra flavor ;)