Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Montreal - Day 2

Parking meters in Montreal are placed all the way to the wall because it snows so much here that plowers would just mow down these meters in the thick of a snow storm.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the streets of Montreal isn't as crowded as I imagined it to be but there's a reason to it. Half of the population are underground. We explored the Underground City on Day 2. A great excuse to get out of the sun and window shop! Yes, window shop only because the US Dollar is now almost at par with the CAD. So, any major shopping is out plus taxes are ridiculous here. Having being spoiled in New Jersey (no taxes on clothing under $300), I wasn't used to seeing GST & PST totaling 13.5%. Yikes! Restaurants are the worst since you have to add tips on top of these taxes.

Anyway, back to the Underground Pedestrian Network. Below the City, is a vast network of walkways with thousands of shops, restaurants, entertainment outlets, cinemas, etc. and connection to several metro (subway) stations. With 20 miles of passageways, you can really spend the entire day underground!


Metro/subway underneath Eaton Center (mall)

Metro station at Bonaventure

Time to surface to the streets....

We took a walk along the shores of St. Lawrence River. It was a beautiful day and just perfect for a leisurely stroll. The Clock Tower was erected in 1919 as a landmark to the port. Next to it is the Jacques Cartier Bridge that connects Montreal island to Jean-Drapeau Park (home of the Grand Prix of Canada).

Plaque on the Clock Tower placed in memory of sailors who lost their lives at war.

View of the port and City from atop the Clock Tower.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Serenity,

I drop by your blog all the time but I'm just a silent reader. But today after seeing all these pictures of Montreal, I have to thank you for sharing them.

I live in Minnesota and there are no taxes on clothing and food at all. When I was in Singapore I saw the GST of a piece of clothing I bought, I cringed! Like you, I'm spoiled.

Serenity said...

Dawn: hello! thanks for dropping by. i'm glad u enjoyed the pictures. tk care.