Friday, November 30, 2007

Left-over Bananas


It's been a while since I blogged about cooking and baking. Just the other day, I had 4 large ripe, speckled bananas that needed to be eaten quickly before they turned bad. What should I do? Another banana loaf? Nah!!! I decided to make some banana balls a.k.a. jemput-jemput pisang. There's no direct translation for this traditional Malaysian snack. If I translated "jemput-jemput pisang" word-for-word, it would mean "invite-invite bananas"??? Not very couth for a recipe name, isn't it?!

Anyway, jemput-jemput pisang brings me back to my domestic science lessons back in the days. It is so simple to make yet delectable. Always a family favorite. It keeps well overnight but I think the dry weather here helps a lot. Just put the left-overs in the oven and soon it'll turn crispy again.

Step 1:

First, heat oil in frying pan. Then, mash the bananas. Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla essence and 1 tsp. of baking powder until well blended.


Step 2:

Wet spoon and use it to drop the batter into frying pan.


Step 3:

Fry until golden brown & drain. Repeat until you finish the mixture.


Step 4 (although not entirely necessary):

Wait for it to cool down and sprinkle some confectioners sugar. Ta-da!

4 comments:

Ms One Boobie said...

Thank you .. thank you .. thank you ..!! i can get all the ingredients here.. and make some..!! thank you ..!! i miss home food so much..!!

Serenity said...

mamabok: glad to be of service ;)

Anonymous said...

GIRLFRIEND-
I stumbled on your blog and WOW fantastic idea...I was tired of making ...sigh...banana bread...that is ALL you ever hear-old bananas='s banana bread
fantastic alternative and they are gone! thanks so much-going to pass it on!
Keep blogging!Gabrielle

Serenity said...

gabrielle: thxs! this is one of the first food/snack recipe that i learned at school :)