Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Yaizu Boys


I've a morbid fascination with historical cemeteries and shrines. I've just discovered an 18th Century French burial ground near my apartment here in New Milford, but I'll leave that to another time. Today, I would like to share some photos of the forgotten Japanese Cemetery located at Batu Lintang Road, a 5 minute drive from my grandparents' house in Kuching, Sarawak.

This cemetery is hardly mentioned in local history. Since Japanese soldiers committed many unmentionable war atrocities and crimes against humanity during World War II, it is understandable that the locals aren't too interested in these deceased Japanese boys from the fishing village of Yaizu.



However, this is their story...



And, their final resting place...




Related links: Batu Lintang POW Camp

3 comments:

cooknengr said...

Do you know a few Japanese decided to stay behind after the surrender, married the locals and lived in Kampung Kuap?

Francis Ho said...

Had not been there ... but since you mentioned it - I'll check it out one fine day ... hmmm

Serenity said...

cooknengr: my parents do know some local people who are of Japanese descent but no idea about Kpg. Kuap. good to know.

fh2o: it makes an interesting trip on a lazy Sunday afternoon. next time, i'll go to the POW Camp site.