Saturday, July 07, 2007

Another Fire News from Home!


Just barely a month after the Serian incident, another fire broke out. This time it hit close to home. My home.

My brother called a few hours ago and promptly informed me that my neighbor's showroom/house was razed to the grounds. Only the concrete frames are left standing. My neighbor is in the car business. The blaze started at about 3 p.m. (Malaysian time) and it took the fire department almost 2 hours to completely douse off the flames! What's new, right? This is M'sian public service in action.

My house is ok. Thank God! Fire happened to the right of this photo.

It was a scary moment for my family with a minor explosion from the storage/workshop area and the partial collapsed of the rear concrete roofing. In the midst of the inferno - the structure was three stories high (U.S. definition), my Dad somehow still managed to chop off one tree near the fence in fear of the spreading flames. He said the flames was so hot, he had to ask my brother to spray water all over him. Completely drenched, he continued hacking the tree. Aiya! Sorry no action photos here.

My Mom was busy at the phone as rellies kept on calling our house to ask if they were ok. Then, the door bell rang repeatedly for no apparent reason.

A couple of middle age women (who had nothing better to do!) pressed our door bell furiously and wanted to come into our house to look at the fire at close range. Shiishhh!

Now, what did our parents tell us about opening the door to strangers??? NEVER. So BUZZ OFF, ladies!

The traffic was jammed up on both sides of the road. I could only imagine a sea of cars just like Courts Mammoth's grand opening 6 years ago or a rock concert scene outside my house. My brother said that the water pressure was so weak (as usual). No surprise. I think all houses in Kuching should start digging their own pond since the hydrants are useless!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Your dad is so brave. It must have been so scary to see the next door building burning so furiously. I didn't see the fire - only saw the blackened, charred building when I went by it later that evening. Surprisingly, the ground floor part still looks relatively ok.
How long did it take the fire dept to get there this time?
As for those middle-age women - the term "kaypo mah" really describes them to the core.

Serenity said...

millyvanilly: my mom said it didn't take long for them to arrive - 2 from batu lintang & 1 from padungan. then 1 truck had to leave coz there was another fire elsewhere. my dad was the one who heard the explosion and saw the flames. so he called the fire dept. immediately.

Anonymous said...

must have been because it was a daytime fire, that's why Bomba responded rather promptly. I figured the Bomba men were all snoring away and didn't hear the phones ringing during the Serian and S'wak Club night fires. Heheh.

Serenity said...

serenity: yup! must have been the case.

JacQuie said...

Moi, although this news already basi but hehe ... it's so funny to say that there r people in this world so key-po ... dare to press your house door bell to gain entry just to see the fire at close range????? I have nothing left to say! Unbelieveable ...

Serenity said...

Jacq: yeah, UNBELIEVABLE, eh?!! Welcome to my blog :)